H-SAN LUIS OBISPO

Feb 13, 2013 12:50 AM by Katie Ferber (KO)

Cal Poly students displaced over safety violations at apartments

Dozens of Cal Poly students are displaced tonight after condos near campus were condemned over safety violations.

San Luis Obispo fire inspectors say lofts at the Pine Creek apartments on Foothill Boulevard originally approved for storage were converted into bedrooms.

They say water heaters and furnaces stored in the lofts put people at risk for carbon monoxide poisoning, asphyxiation, or fire.

Cal Poly student Haley Burns says she's gotten sick from sleeping in the loft.

"I'd wake up really sick and nauseous my mom would just tell me the water heater's in your closet and you're sleeping in a really hot room and that's what's making you sick, and I just thought it was because I would get so hot at night, and be up there and it was so stuffy but actually the fact that I wasn't getting oxygen," Burns said.

Some other violations included not having working smoke and carbon monoxide alarms. Under housing laws, the landlord is financially responsible for the violations. The landlord also has to pay for temporary housing or relocation costs.

»Comments

PLEASE HELP US MODERATE COMMENTS

Offensive or inappropriate comments are subject to removal. To report a comment, please e-mail us at feedback@ksby.com, and include the name of the story and information on the comment.

Thank you! KSBY.com


Most Popular

Top Videos

1 2 3 4