Feb 13, 2013 9:46 PM by Connie Tran, KSBY News
Some Cal Poly students are in a bind tonight, after units in an off-campus apartment complex were deemed unsafe and unhealthy by the city of San Luis Obispo. Many living at the Pine Creek Condominiums are left with questions on what to do, and where to stay.
The city said on Tuesday that San Luis Obispo Fire Inspectors found lofts, originally approved for storage, had been converted into bedrooms, just like Cal Poly senior Monique Orr's.
"It's been well known that everyone uses the loft, it's been here for decades," said Orr.
Orr, who has been living at Pine Creek for about a year and a half, said she and her three roommates wanted their own rooms, and thought the apartment complex was in a great location, and a place they could make their own.
But the city said Orr's room, and her closet, which is actually a utilities closet, poses a huge danger, raising risks of carbon monoxide, poisoning, asphyxiation, or fire.
Orr said, "my clothes have never gotten hot because of this, I've never smelled any fumes."
She continued to say that students have been living this way for years, but now that the city has posted "CONDEMNED" signs on many doors, it looks like she has no choice, but to find a new place to live. Orr said approximately 40 other individuals have 10 days to figure out what to do. Calls to Orr's property management company Farrell Smyth were not returned.
"I really have no idea what I'm going to do," said Orr.
Cal Poly officials said it is helping those student displaced, and the most important thing is getting them to a safe place.
PLEASE HELP US MODERATE COMMENTS
Offensive or inappropriate comments are subject to removal. To report a comment, please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org, and include the name of the story and information on the comment.
Thank you! KSBY.com
3 hours ago