Apr 11, 2013 8:43 PM by Cameron Polom, KSBY News

Former patient of man charged with grand theft and insurance fraud speaks out

"I feel disappointed, a little embarrassed. He just broke our trust," said a former patient of Aaron Marquis.

KSBY first broke this story about a man advertising and acting as an audiologist back in July.
On Monday, Aaron Marquis and his wife were arraigned in San Luis Obispo Superior Court on multiple felony counts.

According to a police search warrant obtained by KSBY in July, Marquis was under investigation for falsely advertising himself as an audiologist.

The warrant also said he was charging patients under false pretenses.

It also documented that Marquis had performed numerous audiology procedures and billed insurance companies for them.

According to court records, Marquis is facing multiple charges of grand theft and insurance fraud.

He entered a plea of not guilty to all the charges on Monday.

As this case plays out in court, Marquis continues to operate his business in San Luis Obispo.

We spoke with current and former patients on Thursday who had no idea he had been charged with a crime.

"I really didn't know otherwise. He has certificates, they advertise that way, in fact he advertised as a PHD," said a former patient who did not want to be identified. "I've got signatures on forms that say PHD. I never doubted him."

This woman, who was a patient of Marquis, has been called as a witness by the District Attorney as part of its case against him.

"I trusted him. He supposedly knew what he was talking about. He answered my questions," said the former patient; however, she says her trust was put in question when she received her insurance statement.

"We started getting insurance claims and he was charging for things he didn't do," said the former patient.

He's now facing charges that include insurance fraud and grand theft.

According to a state consumer investigation, Marquis knowingly misled patients to believe he was an audiologist which requires a minimum of a master's degree when in fact his formal education is limited to a high school diploma.

We went to his office on Thursday to see what he had to say about the charges.
When we arrived, his staff said he had just left but would return shortly.

After waiting for more than two hours to speak with Mr. Marquis, his staff approached our vehicle and handed us a note asking us to leave the property. They also told us that Mr. Marquis' appointments had been canceled for the day and referred us to his attorney.

Our calls to his attorney, Mr. Trevor Creel, were not returned.

Now, while this former patient continues to work with the DA's office on the case, she drives to Fresno to see a board recognized audiologist.

"I'm very disappointed, extremely disappointed in this man that he would do that to all these people including myself."

We spoke with patients leaving the office today and they were shocked to find out Marquis was not an audiologist. I was also told his staff has been assuring patients over the phone that all charges are false.

Although we were not able to reach Mr. Marquis on Thursday, he repeatedly denied all accusations through his attorney last summer when we first reported the investigation.



Offensive or inappropriate comments are subject to removal. To report a comment, please e-mail us at feedback@ksby.com, and include the name of the story and information on the comment.

Thank you! KSBY.com

Most Popular

Top Videos

1 2 3 4