Jul 19, 2013 2:37 PM by Atascadero Pet Hospital
Fun Facts About Cats
- Cats do not have sweat glands.
- A cat can jump as much as seven times its height.
- Cats have five toes on each front paw, but only four toes on each back paw.
- Cats have over one hundred vocal sounds, while dogs only have about ten.
- A pack of kittens is called a kindle, while a pack of adult cats is called a clowder.
- An adult cat can run about 12 miles per hour, and can sprint at nearly thirty miles per hour.
- A cat's tongue is scratchy because it's lined with papillae-tiny elevated backwards hooks that help to hold prey in place.
- The nose pad of each cat has ridges in a unique pattern not unlike a person's fingerprints.
- Cats' bodies are extremely flexible; the cat skeleton contains more than 230 bones (a human has about 206), and the pelvis and shoulders loosely attach to the spine. This adds to their flexibility and allows them to fit through very small spaces.