Atascadero Pet Hospital

Aug 12, 2013 1:15 PM by Atascadero Pet Hospital

The dangers of xylitol for your pets

Xylitol is used as a sweetener in many products, including gum, candy, baked goods and toothpaste.

It can cause insulin release in most species, which can lead to liver failure.

The increase in insulin leads to hypoglycemia (lowered sugar levels). Initial signs of toxicosis include vomiting, lethargy and loss of coordination. Signs can progress to recumbancy and seizures.

Elevated liver enzymes and liver failure can be seen within a few days.


Ask the Animal Experts